[triadtechtalk] Re: virus/worm addendum

  • From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:32:53 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

If nothing is found in your PC, then it is safe to say that it is clean. I
thought you were worried 'bout your sister's, though.

I guess her PC came up clean as well?? The online scanners are by design to be
run while online.
I've used AVG to scan my PC while on line successfully.
Windows is multi-tasking, with a BSOD here & there. 8)

Stinger is updated as necessary, for it already contains the "sasser" - the
latest attack designed.

What you describe with regards to your sis' display would seem that it could be
a faulty video card or chip.
Make sure the cable going into the PC from the monitor is fully engaged -
sometimes it may crawl out, especially
if the attaching screws are not secured tightly.

After doing this, try jiggling the cord at the PC end and also at the monitor
end, sometimes one of the wires
is frayed and may short out. If all this results in no obvious loss of signal,
then it may indeed be a faulty
video card or driver.

I've encountered what you describe when the wrong driver has been installed. Or
when emory for
the video adapter was an issue, i.e., too little.

Perhaps the driver could be updated. Pressing the "Windows and Pause/Break"
keys simultaneously
brings up the System Properties box, under Device Mgr, Display Adapter - dbl.
click it, highlight
the adapter, click "properties" - it should say "working properly and also will
list the manufacturer.

Aida32 will also list the devices attached and ID the display adapter, thus
enabling you to google
for a driver or an updated driver if one is needed. Though development of this
tool has ceased, you
can still dnld it here:
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r847.html

Right click on the desktop and choose properties, can you adjust the settings?
Perhaps that is all that you need do. On an empty spot Right click, choose
Properties, Settings:
Can these be adjusted?

Is the PC still randomly rebooting? Perhaps the video adapter need reseating in
its slot.
You would need to open the PC case to check this.

HTH,
A.