[triadtechtalk] Re: triadtechtalk Digest V5 #91

  • From: brian99 <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 11:09:08 -0500

Armando,
Thanks for the information about Start. That Windows 98 Tutorial is great. That
is what should have come with my computer! I will review the entire tutorial!

Well anyway back to Start. The reason I was working with Start was because my computer seems to be taking a longer time to start up. And I am hoping to keep this computer a while longer before getting a new one. (Win 98, Pentium II 400Mz, RAM 256)

I reviewed the BootLog and found the same failure that Joe had advise quite a while ago that they were not an issue.(ndis2sup.vxd, SDVXD, and nuwave.drv)

So I ran AnalogX to see if I could remove some drivers. It found 29. But having not used it before I decided to leave them especially since I didn't think they could be causing much delay, if any.

Back to Start: I was referring to the Start folder. The only thing I was concerned about was that all those programs listed there were slowing down my computer at start up. It is great to know that is not an issue.

About RAM, I did increase the RAM from 156MB? to 256 MB. And if I understand my computer capacity, I can't add any more so there isn't anything I can do there.

About systray, I have cleaned it out totally. Now all I have there is Spyware Guard (Thanks for recommending it), AVG (Another forum recommended program), and ZoneAlarm.

I have also minimized the icons in the task bar to just Netscape and Explorer thinking they may also slow things down some. (That is why I was interested in the short cut keys, so nothing was taking up "space" on the desk top or memory but could be easily accessed).

Regarding Chucks wisdom, "If it ain't broke don't fix it.", It is a good reminder since I have a tendency to try to make things work BETTER and often have made them worse!

So it may well be that the slower start time is normal and I should accept it.
So thanks again for clearing up the mysteries about Start and the link to the
great tutorial!

BRIAN
**************

Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 15:07:52 -0500 From: brian99 <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [triadtechtalk] Start Menu CleanUp

Thanks to all of the members of the group who have so graciously helped me progress in understanding my computer. The proof of the helpfulness is evidenced by my ability to operate my computer for weeks at a time without any major problems! and ever more importantly, if I have do a problem, many times I am able to resolve it with additional help!

However, somehow there is a very fundamental understanding about the Start Menu that I have failed to learn about. So I am looking for some advise to clear up my lack of understanding.

I know it pays to keep your Start Menu from getting overloaded. So I was cleaning out anything I did not need to open at start up.
I have noticed that all of the programs I have downloaded and kept are placed in the start up menu. ( Just to be sure I am talking about the right thing, this is where I am looking: Right click on Start>Explorer>and Under Start Menu I click on the + next to Programs to see all of the programs that are loading up when I start my computer. The only other item listed with Programs is desktop.ini.)

Some of the listed programs have the short cut arrow next to them and others don't.

My questions are:
1. Why do just some of the programs have shortcuts?

2. Can I remove some or all of programs from Start Menu without causing problems?

3. Assuming I can remove them, where and how should I "move" them to keep them available?

4. Is there anything else about this subject it would be helpful to know or understand before I continue the clean up?

So once again thanks in advance for any help.

BRIAN

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 20:14:03 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: Start Menu CleanUp

Start menu should not be confused with Startup.

You may have as many listings in the Start menu ( Programs ) as your heart desires. Every time you install a program it gets added to the start menu.

The StartUp menu is what may slow down your machine due to memory limitations and usage.

Now, which are you talking about, Brian? Start menu or the StartUp folder, the folder which you would right click on the taskbar>properties>Start menu Programs> Advanced ?--in Explorer's right hand side are all shortcuts, but for certain folders.

You can click on any folder or shortcut on your desktop while simultaneously
holding the Ctrl key down,
and you can drag & drop it into the Start button on your taskbar, thus placing
it in the Start menu.

You can also place a shortcut to any program in your StartUp folder.
This results in an icon appearing in your Systray(clock). These take up Windows
resources and
are the ones you should try to keep to a minimum. They would start upon
initializing Windows

I've never had an issue with these except in
cases where the PC's installed RAM was constrained. Even then, a memory
optimizer has helped in
overcoming this. I install AnalogX's  "MaxMem" in *all* the Windows OS's.
Adding RAM is better -
keep MaxMem, though.

P.S.: Remember what Chuck in OK pointed out, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

You might find this link useful in your quest:
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/windows-98-tutorial-start-menu.htm

And here are a kit'n'kaboodle more:
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22Windows+98+start+menu22&btnG=Search>

shortened: http://tinyurl.com/3hatz