*****************

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:39:03 -0700 From: Brianwc221 <Brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: triadtechtalk Digest V5 #109

In spite of the great help from the group and the great link to Driver Guide, I am still having trouble getting sound. Spent much of the day trying to track down the problem without any success. (I sure know a lot about things that don't work!
To begin with I am not exactly sure where the sound devise is located. After carefully looking at the Driver Guide I was focused on devices. I looked in Device Manger and wondered:
Is the sound driver in the one that reads: Sound, video, and game controller or in one of the other areas?

I wasn't sure so found and downloaded AIDA32 again and ran the program and found under Devices>Windows Devices>sound, video...>Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI Legacy Devise and in Multimedia>PCI/PnP Audio>Ceative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card. So that sure looked like that was it.

So I followed the instruction and downloaded the es137.zip154 MB file drive, unzipped it and installed it in the Sound, video, and game controller area. But still no sound.

There was another icon on the same line so thought maybe that is a problem so I removed it from the Sound, video, and game controller and rebooted.

I then tried Add new hard ware. It found no new devises so I go back to Devise manager>Sound, video, and game controller and the Creative Ensoniq Audio is now the only one listed under Sound, video, and game controller- but still not sound!

I do some checking and it says "the devise is working", so I try to update the driver with the same one again and it stated the one installed is good.

So I am thinking, I am putting the driver in the wrong place, or am I way off???
At least now after all the tutoring the group has provided I know more about the process but apparently not quite enough!

Boy what I would give to be setting right new to Chuck, Armando, or Victor at the keyboard to see first hand how things are really done!!!

Additional suggestions would be appreciated. I just hope I haven't goofed things up to the point of no return since this is only 1 of 7 remaining problems. (I hope they aren't all this difficult!). I am now using Word Pad to do the documentation since Word is gone and Victor mentions Word isn't in Win98 and suspect that also precludes me getting it out of the SE CD also.

BRIAN
**************************

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:08:03 -0700 From: Brianwc221 <Brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [triadtechtalk] What AN EXPERIENCE..continued !!!

Thanks Donna, Armando, and Chuck, for the quick suggestions. I don't think any information is still on the HDD because I reformatted it not knowing what I was doing! (Nothing new there.). But I sure will give the recovery programs a chance to confirm that this is the case and it will be good to have it for future use. Chuck, as soon as you mentioned Drives Guide I remember it was one I had bookmarked for future use that is now long gone. I will read all the information in the beginners guide and then see what I can find for the sound and video. That sure looks like the best way to restore the drivers since I don't have a clue where else to start. There are two thing that I need to try to fix a soon as possible: 1. I have lost Word (I think is was 6.0). Is there a way to reinstall it from the regular windows 98 CD or somehow else? 2. I have these grayed out area on pages that normally mean they don't work but they still work. However, the text is nearly impossible to read. For example, in Netscape email the Send, Address, Attach, Spell, Security, and Save at the top of the page are all grayed out. Will that be remedied when I fix the Video drivers or do I need to do something else to fix that problem? Thanks for all the help and I hope someone knows how to fix these 2 problems. BRIAN ************************************* Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:03:57 -0700 From: Brianwc221 <Brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [triadtechtalk] What AN EXPERIENCE!!! Well as Armando knows I haven't been taking part in the TriAdTechTalk for about a week do to a TOTAL & complete computer crash! And a special thanks Armando for the phone advise and encouragement. It sure is a problem when there isn't a net connection to help with things. This computer crash set me back at least a week of solid 10-15 hours days guessing, trying, researching, cussing, redoing, complaining, bumbling, head scratching, and cussing some more every few minutes and thinking if only a normal person could not have set up this computers stuff!!!! (For example, jumpers that are so microscopic for no good reason you and you need an undersized pair of tweezers to install them; and all they would have had to do is increase there length from 4mm to 3/8" so a regular human could pop them in a a second!!!) So far I have finally just got the 2 hard drives to work with some limitations, (I have to deal with the overlay issue you mentioned), reinstalled the cable connection, installed Netscape and IE, and "found my email" new email. I have a very, very long way to go, but boy did I get some experiences, Armando forewarned, in POST, BIOS, Jumpers, IDE, Partianing, Fdisk, obscure DOS commands...and a whole lot more that I never really wanted to learn!! I don't have any sound yet. I am still trying to figure that out. It looks like the two items that show up in the Device Manager: PCI multimedia auto drive, and PCI serial controller are indicators of the problems. But I am not sure what to do about them yet. I also have a display problem. Some of the text on web pages is grayed out and when I go into Control Pannel>settings>colors, I can only select 2 or 16 colors! This experience has reinforced my suspicion that the guys that set all this up didn't want any else to EVER understand how things work However, before I get back to these my plan is to first quickly install these programs to prevent even more trouble: 1. AVG 2. Zone Alarm 3. Script Sentry 4. Start Up Monitor Then I will get to Spy Bot, JV16, Easy Cleaner, etc; If anyone has any advise about this recovery process I would sure like to here about it. BRIAN ********************************************
From: DBCfour@xxxxxxx Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:25:16 EDT Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: What AN EXPERIENCE!!!

Well, congratulations to you! :-) Ain't it fun? <not> LOL Make sure you have the drivers loaded for the sound and Vid and you should be good to go! Donna
------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:37:44 -0400 (GMT-04:00) From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: What AN EXPERIENCE!!!

I knew you could do it! BTW, have you done anything to your original C: drive? If you haven't loaded stuff into it or reformatted, there's a way torecover that lost partition table tha= t seems to have caused you the additional hassles you've encountered. Doing so will let you recover your missing video and sound driver= s, for one, plus any other settings, etc., that you had. It's called testdisk and you can get it here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/[1] If you need help with it, just let us know &we'll help you deal w= ith it, forthwith! I think that means "pronto". ;) Soon you'll be helping us, at the rate you're going...8) A. Experience is something you don't get until just after you ne= ed it. ~Oliver's Law~ __________________________________ PeoplePC Online A better way to Internet http://www.peoplepc.com --- Links --- 1 3D"http://www.cgsecurity.org/"; ------------------------------

From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:13:15 EDT Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: recover deleted file In a message dated 6/6/2004 4:20:56 PM Central Standard Time, avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I'm not trying to be facetious, Chuck, but have you tried this newer version of PC Inspector?: http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm How about "Restoration"?: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23108,00.asp
AV... got both files.... but the PCinspector kept giving me an access error when starting but it worked..... didnt want to give me much in the way of files tho... think is a conflict..... but!!!!!!! and folks... only thing I can say if you dont get a copy of restoration then you have to be crazy....... installed it and bang... took about 30 seconds and had a list of 152 files found the 3 I was looking for and took about 6 minutes to copy them to another drive..... and they were 100 perecent correct.. no loss of data...... now I do use spinrite but ti wouldnt work with this setup since is ntfs files... but restoration was perfecto...... later on got to thinking..... had done a rebuild job for a friend who had a pc the got fried due to bad power supply.... and I put a new box togther for him with all new parts... he gave me the old parts and said drives were shot according to the pc repair shop he originally took it to and cost was too muchfor him..... so...... here I was with 2 80 gig maxtors.... and said as Emeril does" self.... hmmmmmmm will it read these supposed fried drives?..... I did check them and they were recognized by another pc I use as my "test" box but showed as being empty.. zilch.... nothing on them... he had told me forget it and keep them since the new box was for his kids... only thing bugged him was a bunch of cartoons on them he had been rdoing to svcds.... so...... took the drives... installed restoration to the test box and hooked up a drive..... and after about 30 minutes of work recovered 68 gigs of cartoons..... called hm up and he brought over another drive and I copeied them to that and now I am the owner of two working and servicable 80 giggers..... ran spinrite to make sure they were ok and then maxtor utilities to check them out and they passed...... so... will say thank you thank you thank you AV... got my missing files and couple nice little drives out of the deal...... know this is one program am going to keep for certin..... it has proved itself to me... folks.. get this one and hang on to it.. keep a copy off your pc so can be handy if ever needed..... for me it shows as one of the great ones for my tool box.....................btw... Brian.. this one might give you some help on your box also..... something to look at.... chuck... in Ok
------------------------------

From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:35:14 EDT Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: What AN EXPERIENCE!!! In a message dated 6/7/2004 4:38:21 PM Central Standard Time, avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Doing so will let you recover your missing video and sound drivers, for one, plus any other settings, etc., that you had. Brian we all at one time were even less knowledge than you are.... but with loads of help we always keep on learning..... here is a site that may help you in your driver search.. its free and can pretty much find drivers for about any type of device if its used on a pc... you do have to join,but it is free...... and can show you how to identify what they devce model is even if you dont know it inculdinging the manufacture etc..... great site and not sure if it has been put out on the board before.. but it is a good one to keep around just in case.... even has motherboard info... bios.. you name it,its listed or where one may just find that one elusive hunk of bytes and bits needed to fix a problem _www.driverguide.com_ (http://www.driverguide.com) . you will be given a simple password and sign in name when you join... worth the time and effort so long as you have web access it may help.................... chuck... in ok ------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: What AN EXPERIENCE..continued !!! Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:32:07 -0400 From: "GASCON, VICTOR" <VGASCON@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Brian! As far as I know, Word is not part of Windows 98. However, some manufacturer's bundled software with the restore CD that came with your PC, so that may have been part of the software that would install if you restore the system. Please forgive me because I have not read the whole thread, so I am not exactly sure how your system got to be formatted. What I can offer is a free Office-compatible program called OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org) as an alternative to MS Office. OpenOffice is a rather large program (63.5 Mb for Windows). If you are on a slow connection and need this program, please let me know and I will be glad to mail you a CD with the latest version (1.1.1). Take care! -=3D Victor =3D- -----

From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:14:33 EDT
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: triadtechtalk Digest V5 #109

In a message dated 6/9/2004 8:05:04 PM Central Standard Time, Brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
So I am thinking, I am putting the driver in the wrong place, or am I way off???

one setting we have all forgot to check...... go to control panel... sounds and multimedia...... and check out the settings there........ seems I have found many a time the danged thing got set to "MUTE" for some reason or way..... of course that check is always made after about 20 or thirty downloads and reinstalls of the sound drivers and getting half bald thru hiarpulling ... but always seems to be forgoten to check.. leastwise by me anyways... might take a look see......chuck...in ok

End of triadtechtalk Digest V5 #110