[triadtechtalk] Xcopy32

  • From: brian99 <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:05:07 -0500

Joe,
Thanks for the advise and notice of what using xcopy entails.

When Armando mention xcopy32.exe, I looked for the file in find and saw I had
it on my computer.
Then I looked and all the links you and the others had listed referring to this
tools and saw the one Armando said it was his favorite that gave the simple dos
type command to do a copy and I thought: maybe this is how I could do a quick
backup. The one thing I have learned about  computers is that there are so many
things that a novice doesn't realize that can cause problems. So I thought I
had better ask before going too far.

At an earlier date Chuck had mentioned the XXcopy's were so great, but at that
time I did not have a deep enough understand to feel confident to try using
them. I was thinking maybe Xcopy32 was a simplified version. Unfortunately, it
appears I will have to do some more learning before I give any to the Xcopy's a
try.

Thanks once again for keeping me out of trouble. I sure have an easy time
finding it!!!

BRIAN
***************

Brian, there's more to learn! The XXCopy application that I referred to is
not deep down in your machine. XXCopy is a third party app written because
XCopy, the one down in the bowels of your machine, was prone to develop errors,
especially in preserving LFN (long file names).
Try to imagine copying everything on your HDD to another media and then
discovering that all the file names had been reduced to DOS format (8.3
characters).
IExplorer.exe to open your browser becomes iexplo~1.exe.
XXCopy has a whole website dedicated to it's use..
XXCOPY, a Versatile File Management Utility --- Boldly Extended Xcopy

http://www.xxcopy.com/

I would suggest you explore there before attempting to make a backup with DOS
XCopy.
~~~~~~~~