[triadtechtalk] Re: Windows Messenger

 "Aren't worms a bummer?" That made me laugh....
Just wanted to say that I bought this computer in August 2004 from Dell and really have nothing but praise for Dell. If I have had problems, they would have been my own fault (for fiddling around) and even though the support guy is always in India, he has always been most polite and always able to fix my problem. At one stage I did need a bit of new hardware and it was delivered to my door, next day, with a techie, to install it.
I would have thought, for someone like Juanita, with not a real computer expertise (it seems), that a Dell system would have been perfect - just plug it in and it goes........ I wonder what went wrong ???
I'm sorry to hear of your woes Juanita.
Sandy

Armando Barreiro wrote:
Don't remove just one - remove them all. Follow their instructions. Majorgeeks' instructions are
purposedly detailed. Be sure you use AdAware and Spybot S&D fully updated first.
This will extricate any other junk that will obstruct the removal of the real nasty
bugs, such as dlccom.

Juanita said:

Ok Armando. I went to Majorgeeks. Was reading. I found a list of programs he
said if you have them in add\remove you should remove them. I found one
there might be more. Will check later but wanted to get you alls advice on
this one first. Major said sometimes removing these programs would slove
your problem.

Probably because as is customary for worms to do so, they replace valid programs
so as to take over the PC. That's what they are designed to do. Don't look for what's not there,
but for what is there and is listed as not being supposed to be there.

Juanita wrote:

The program is Viewpoint Media Player. But I don't see the regular old
windows media player in there.

Yes, in Safe Mode and disable System Restore, and only then proceed to remove every instance
of dlccmon.exe that is listed in the HJT log. If need be, (but of course), crank up regedit,
Start|Run|regedit|OK and remove all the listed instances of dlccmon as listed in the HJT log.

Juanita wrote:

Is this something dell put on here?

It would seem so, but not really. A worm will try to disguise itself, so its hard to say.
I really doubt that it was their doing.

Afterwards, reboot. Run HJT again and give us that new log so that we can inspect it.
Hopefully it will be a "good" and "clean" one. If not, we'll tackle anything else that
is still in there.

That's why I advised you to read their instructions. Aren't worms a bummer?(rhetorical)

Armando
well, dlcccoms.exe is a worm. This is from a Googlr Search:

Ok Armando. I went to Majorgeeks. Was reading. I found a list of programs he
said if you have them in add\remove you should remove them. I found one
there might be more. Will check later but wanted to get you alls advice on
this one first. Major said sometimes removing these programs would slove
your problem.

The program is Viewpoint Media Player. But I don't see the regular old
windows media player in there.

Anyway I didn't see any fix for dcccoms.exe So am I just suppose to go into
safe mode and take it off the startup. Maybe disable system restore first?

Is this something dell put on here?

Juanita

VIEW ARCHIVES @ http://www.freelists.org

 Ye