[triadtechtalk] Re: Still.... Sloooooooooow Computer

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:39:53 -0700 (PDT)

Good point, it (Norton) came with the box.

Did it come with all the MS updates and Norton, or just
Norton and then you fetched the updates? Just my
inkling, O.K?

Norton what? AV, System Works, what? I'm dying to find
out which...

Observation:
I had a Gateway with 98SE that I could not get to stop
getting hung upon Shutdown, no matter what update or
tweak from MS or elsewhere. I uninstalled the Norton AV
installed at the factory and voila', no more BS!

Enuff said 'bout that, though. The problem seems to
have started after installing ZA as per your statement,
so uninstall that and see if it perks up.
Make sure you turn on XP's lame firewall before you go
on line, though.

Two years of use..., did you ever clean your cache,
cookies, temp files yet? And your original observation
was no bots or spyware..., yes, you did say that.

Here is an article on optimizing XP, perhaps it may not
perk up your box, but it may learn you a few more tips.
One thing is obvious & that is that you'll be a XP ace
by the time you solve this, eh?

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,,5155,00.asp

How much free space does your HDD indicate? The System
Restore feature in XP may slow you down without
warning. It's supposed to grow to only 12% of your HDD.

Go into Folder Options and unhide proteced files and
directories. [To unhide these things, open My
Computer; click Tools, Folder Options, View; configure
three options to show or unhide all files; then click
Yes and OK to confirm.]

A folder named _Restore should come up on the C drive,
how big is that?

Turn off System Restore and reclaim that space. Perhaps
this is the culprit and may allow your PC's system to
recover its earlier snappiness. Don't forget to
re-enable it.

I'll keep 'alookin'.

(In back of my head it says "time to reinstall...", or
live with it. Nah, not yet, Herman) LOL

Herman
-----------------------
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:14:05 -0700, "Richard Matthew"
wrote:

> Hiya Armando
>

>   I checked out
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm tried
> all to
> no avail. Not sure why I would want to uninstall
> Norton, though. >
> http://redirx.com/?t6u
>
> It came with my Dell, and I've never had a problem
with
> it. The potential
> problem was with its mail safe feature conflicting
with
> Zone Alarm's, and
> that wasn't it. I went thru site after site from the
> Google address you
> supplied, and I've tried all the solutions before
> (memory, defrag, trojans,
> spyware, too many startup progs etc).
>
> One thing I forgot to mention is that the Desktop
Icons
> like to re-draw
> themselves.
>
> Can't say thanx enough for your efforts. Above and
> beyond the call of duty,
> says I.
>
> I'll keep looking.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard
>
> > Richard, just for some additional insight, take a
look
> > at this current discussion re a couple of
woe-makers.

http://www.lockergnome.com/issues/daily/20031010.html
> > ---------
> > To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: Sloooooooooow Computer
> > From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:46:25 -0700 (PDT)
> >  armando wrote:
> >
> > ------Snip
> > How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus by using the
> > Rnav2003.exe removal utility
> >

> > or
> >
> > http://redirx.com/?t6u
> >
> > ----Snip

> > To VIEW/CHANGE your subscription status go to
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/triadtechtalk

> VIEW ARCHIVES @ //www.freelists.org
>
> UNSUBSCRIBE by sending email to
> triadtechtalk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with unsubscribe