[triadtechtalk] Re: New Hard Drive Question

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:57:00 -0700 (PDT)

Joe,
Here is a short list of methods to
ghost/image/backup/copy a drive that I've used in my
time:

1)The software included with a new drive. Most HDD
manufacturers include some type of ghosting software. I
know first hand that Maxtor, Seagate, and WD all supply
you with a very useful floppy with various utilities
included beside a drive imaging one.

2)XXCopy, as mentioned by cuffy:
http://www.xxcopy.com/

I used this very many times until I discovered
xcopy32. I had a glitch with xxcopy once with LFNs
(long file names) and it trashed a Windows 95
installation. Probably due to operator error. (I muffed
it up)

3)Paragon Drive Backup:
http://utility.downloadatoz.com/paragon-drive-backup/

4)Power Quest Drive Image:
http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/

5)Norton Ghost:
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

6)My favorite, since I do not use a NTFS partition in
my Win2K is Win98SE xcopy32 (see how):
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/hd/cpyhd/cpyhd2.htm

7)You can also use Knoppix from:
http://www.linuxiso.org

It's a 700 MB image of a very GUI Linux which you burn
to CD, it runs in memory and makes no changes to your
PC or HDD. It gives you access to any partition in your
system and allows you to copy, move, edit, or delete
any file in any format (FAT, FAT16/32, NTFS,), etc .

This one is very handy when you need to recover files
from any trashed OS partition.

There are various other methods, I'm sure.
Can anyone contribute any additions to this short list?

HTH,
armando

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:31:36 -0500, "Jim Moss" wrote:

> My HD quit and I took it to a shop to have it replaced
> so I would,
> hopefully,not lose my many downloaded programs.  I was
> told that all my data
> files would be OK(I had them backed up anyway), but I
> would have to
> reinstallwindowsXP and all programs!
>
> They replaced the HD with  a Maxtor 40 and when I
> picked up my computer I
> wastold, "you have had good luck and we transfered all
> data, programs,
> windows, settings to the new HD".
>
> I thought I could not back up Windows and programs in
> case of a disaster!
> How did they transfer everything exactly as it was?
> Can I have this kind of
> backup at home?
>
> Jim Moss

> Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as
> $29.95/month*.
> [1]*Depending on the local service providers in your
> area.
>
> --- Links ---
>    1 http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2731??PS=
> VIEW ARCHIVES @ //www.freelists.org