[triadtechtalk] New Computer/ Win7 Upgrade

  • From: brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:37:16 -0500

Chuck, Bruce, Armando, & Jim,

Thanks for the information (Warning) about my trying to get the older DOS commands on XP.

I can see it sure saved me a lot of head ache!

Jim, thanks for mentioning the, "adding 2gig of memory", but my computer is so old it is maxed out at 512 MB.

So I will forget my wild idea and concentrate on exactly what to get for the new Win7 system.

Thanks to all.

BRIAN

ChasM49@xxxxxxx wrote:
if you have xp installed it most likely is installed on a drive that is formatted to ntsf formatting.... and dos is generally fat 32 unless you have the oldies fat 16...dos will not read any ntsf formatted files so that's out.... only way to install dos on a drive to read xp would be install dos on fat 32 format and then partition and dual bot xp on fat 32.... but in a way it would very much like installing a time bomb with a clock that no one can set.... oh what fun it can be hen you pc flips,flops,and a few other messed over tricks it might try..... and with latest PCs doubt could even get dos to format the giant drives.....be one massive waste of time to even attempt it never mind to consider doing so.... also... WIN & home premium does come as a family pack..... $149 and can be installed on 3 computers..... so am waitng delevery for that set... expect it in next couple days..... and later in the cycle will get WWIN 7 Pro..... for other computers..... when my installed versions now on will be expiring.... chuck.... in Ok In a message dated 10/22/2009 3:51:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time, beddy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    You can't get to other command file options ( like switching to
    the dos
    folder on the XP drive?) from the XP cmd window.