[triadtechtalk] New Computer/ Win7 Upgrade

  • From: brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:49:19 -0500

Bruce,

OK, thanks for that information.

I have determined I don't have sys.com, and and many of the other DOS commands.

But when I looked into my old Win98 Command file, they there are!

However, because I am booted into WinXP when I try to use sys /? it won't work on it or any of the WinXP DOS commands. It will work only on the WinXP DOS commands.

To keep from having to reboot to Win98 to work with these DOS files I would like to move them to WinXP.

Can I just copy the Win98 DOS files in the command file with .exe, and .com extensions into the WinXP system32 file? If I can, what about the other files in the folder that have other extensions like .bin, and .bat?

Thanks for the help.

BRIAN

***********
Bruce Eddy wrote:
Ok the command prompt in xp is a slightly different flavor I'd DOS. If you type help /? At that c prompt you'll see what commands work at that prompt. Also the way to get help on a given command ,like bootcfg, is bootcfg /? Take note there's a space between the g and the /. The XP version of dos is basically to run windows commands without windows running(kinda sortaish? ) for lack of a better term?))
Happy building.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 19, 2009, at 9:53 PM, brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bruce,

Thanks for the detail about your learning experiences.

Based on your encouragement I have decided to keep the "build it myself" an open option.

Also thanks for the description of DriveSpaced and the sys command.

Related but a bit off the subject but in case you can throw some light on the subject: I don't know exactly what they did to the old DOS I had in Win98, but many of the commands I was learning about before I switched to WinXP are no longer recognized in the WinXP "DOS" mode. I think they renamed it something like the command ???.

For example, when I enter /*sys, */Bootcfg, Getmac, or Driverquery,
like this: sys /?
I get: /*'sys' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
*/Can sys command be used it WinXP?

Well anyway I guess it time to get on to the hardware specifications that will be suitable for the new system.
That will probably be an big consideration.

Thanks for all the input.

BRIAN

*************

Bruce Eddy wrote:
Ok Brian, ..things to remember, I've not had one bit of schooling on any of this. That alone says you CAN do it? Not trying to talk you into it, I'm
more trying to remove your 'fear' of doing it>
When someone says to me 'wow you know a lot about PCs" I usually tell my biggest claim to fame is I've already made all the mistakes they're afraid
to make?:)))

For the record, and this may not be by-the-book best description..DriveSpace
was way they used to compact the data on a drive so it used less
space....kind of like making your data sit in a 'zip' folder, until
needed......kinda sorta..
And 'sys the drive means...In dos you could 'sys a drive to put the dos
system files copied to the drive. That way any commands you typed would
execute. When I 'sys'ed the drive' on that Pc, then booted with the dos
install disks, they saw the dos files now sitting on that drive. Since it was an upgrade version, and it saw the dos files sitting on the drive now, it would install just fine... In essence all I had to do once I got to the Dos c:\ prompt was type the dos command 'sys c:\' Pretty simple, but when you've never had to do anything like that, And no one living in my area (New Hampshire at the time) it took a couple nights for me to figure that out. I'd used a 'Mac' like computer in my previous
job, Even figured out how to write simple programs in MacBasic on that
system... I say Mac like because it looked like a Mac and it was called
MacSym..or something to that effect, the older old timers here might
remember it... Ok I mean older PC-wise. I'm probably one of the older people
on this list....:))))
Ok this is getting wordy, I HATE that, but I do it constantly. I LOVE
teaching newbies new stuff.:)) All I'm saying is don't let your fears hold you back....Follow a few simple rules and you'll be safe...And this list is
always here if you need us.
I have a fre3ind from Kodak that ordered a kit from TigerDirect based on my recommendation...What I didn't' realize is the system wasn't pre-assembled?
YIKES...This guy had the system all put together and ready to power
up...Once he mentioned he'd put it together last night, I flipped!!:)))) INSTANT phone call.... before he hit the power button.:)))) Good thing I
did, he'd put it together without using the standoffs that hold the
motherboard off the back side of the case?!?!? OUCH... He said He wondered why it seemed to fit so weird in the case? Fortunately he didn't crack the board by tightening it down without the standoffs. (Standoffs are small 1/4 inch or so metal, usually brass, posts' you screw the post into the case. In alignment with the holes in the motherboard. Then you screw the motherboard screws into the top of the posts.) So he rips it all back off.. inserts the standoffs and he's good to go... those little basics are all that's needed. PCs today are nothing like they used to be.. Jumpers used to be done with DIP switches? Want a nightmare....my 1st Reveal CDROM had markings on the top of it to show how to set the DIP switches..there were 6 of them with 4
numbers on each switch, you set the numbers on each switch to match a
corresponding memory address? Yep, it didn't work.. then there was another diagram of those DIP settings in the manual, And still another diagram on a piece of paper in the box, saying this supersedes the manual? And NOPE, none of those setting worked at all...Took me almost a whole afternoon of trying
every combo of those switch settings to finally get it to work.:))) Now
days? You might have to change a jumper from 1 to 3 places? BIIIIIG
difference. And if you go SATA, there's no jumpers at all. Plus you can't plug any of the plugs in backwards any more... ok, an IDE cable could be put
in backwards , but that won't hurt a thing on the drive.

So all this all says is don't let it scare you. It's really not as hard as it looks. Especially with the newer systems. You might wind up with driver issues, but even that is coming to a slow down . MS takes a lot of heat, but they've also done a lot of things right and the drivers generally get better
and better..
If you're still nervous, maybe buying a prebuilt system, is the way to go, then when you can scrape up the cash to 'play' take that older system apart
and see how it's put together... then put it back together and boot it
up...That will give you some hands on experience building a system/
Just some thoughts....

Take care,
Bruce