[triadtechtalk] Re: New Computer/ Win7 Upgrade

  • From: Jim Moss <moss1438@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:27:11 -0600

Thanks Howard,

I am not having any problem with drivers so I will leave things alone.  I do
not plan to update to W7 anytime soon as XP has worked well for me.

The only minor recent problems have been Firefox had to uninstalled and
reinstalled as it would not open but the uninstall program said it was running.
 I had to reboot and then uninstall before reinstalling.

Zone Alarm acted almost the same way.  All is working fine now.

Jim Moss

From: hbint@xxxxxxxx
To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: New Computer/ Win7 Upgrade
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:31:09 -0500

Hi Jim ... there are dozens of these types of programs trying to get your
business. In most cases these are not needed for the home user. I use one for
repairing orupgrading computers as they can save time in searching for drivers
for the older computers I repair.

If your home computer is a name brand, you can get the model number off it (and
sometimes the serial number or service tag) and just go to the manufacturere's
site and go to downloads or support and punch in the info and it will bring up
all the drivers for that machine. The driver dates will probably tell you if
newer updates are available, but a rule of thumb that I often use is ... if it
ain't broke, don't fix it!

If you have any programs you think are giving you a problem, go to the home
site of your program and get the latest updates for those programs (like
printers, modems etc ... anything you may think is not working properly.

A word of caution ... if you look for updates, there will be many programs
offering FREE DOWNLOADS. The downloads may be free, but once you run the driver
search and it returns a list of drivers that have newer updates, it will not
get them for you until you buy the licence.

That's just my opinion ...

Howard