[triadtechtalk] Re: New Computer/ Win7 Upgrade

  • From: "Howard" <hbint@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:51:13 -0500

Brian ...

I agree with Bruce on at least most things he said about refurbs. I use them myself, but usually not for my clients. My biggest problem with them, is the loss of most of the warranty. Of course if something is obviously wrong or physically damaged, you can return them within the shortened warranty period (usually 30 - 60 days, but it does depend on the item and the warranty time should be checked). If the returned item is actually factory refurbed (as most claim), then nothing should be wrong with it ... and maybe never was. As Bruce pointed out, once a box is opened it must be classified as Refurbished, but if it has been factory refurbed, then anything that was damaged or not working, should have been repaired or replaced.

It comes down to a personal choice ... and sometimes those choices are priced pretty attractively. The probability of a problem is pretty small, but the shortened warranty can be the biggest problem that I see.

Bruce Said:

Brian....One thing to keep in mind about reviews from users/buyers.... How
often do you actually go back and rave about anything you've bought? I'm
betting little to none? OTOH, if you buy something that's absolutely
terrible , you want to tell the whole world about it? Am I close? And I'm
not singling just you out? I'm thinking that's how most people react to
things.

<snipped> VIEW ARCHIVES @ //www.freelists.org