[triadtechtalk] Re: New Computer/ Win7 Upgrade

  • From: brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:09:50 -0500

Bruce,

Thanks for the comments.

Any input is appreciated since I really don't know what I am doing with this project.

Howard has been helping with a few private emails explaining how to do the assemble, and where I could get a good buy, and also how to save some money on items I may not need. Armando has offered some of his best sites.

After getting a little bit of a feel for what it would be like to build a complete system from the ground up, I am not sure if that would be the way for me to go. I can envision spending quite a bit of time, trouble before I got everything together, and running and working ( Assuming I did ever get it working! ). I am beginning to think I would probably be better off to go with a partial build or a nearly complete system.

As they say time is money, but in my case I envision burning up way more time than the extra dollars I would save.

Thanks for mentioning the ASUS Geforce7025/nForce 630a Barebone Kit.
I took a good look at it trying to see what items I would have to add to bring it to life.

From the reviews it sound like it would best to add 2 more GB of RAM, and replace the power supply. Then I would need to buy Win7, a DVD drive, a video card, a keyboard & mouse, a HDD, and wireless N card (Not sure if I covered everything that would be needed).

I sure don't know, but it would seem like that could easily add $200 to $300 or more dollars to the $219.

Out of the blue I was looking at TechBargains.com a site Armando told me about that works like a directory finding good buys. I ran across a HP Pavilion p6240f PC that is being sold by Office Max for $599.99. Not to say it would be the best option, just one to use to begin comparing price of a bare bone set up with a more complete system.

With the ASUS Geforce7025 cost about $500 I would be saving about $100 compared to the HP Pavilion p6240f for my time.

If I haven't missed something, either way I would then need to add a Router, Modem, Speakers, and Monitor to get the going. ( HP Pavilion p6240f PC Product Specs Below)

I would sure appreciate any comments about my thinking since this is totally new ground for me!!!

BRIAN
--------

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/search.jsp?freeText=+HP+Pavilion+p6240f+PC&search.x=8&search.y=10

HP Pavilion p6240f PC Product Specs
Processor Brand: INTEL
Hard Drive Size: 750GB
Installed Memory: 8GB
Processor Series: Core 2 Quad
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Networking Detail: 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless Compatibility: 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN
Hard Drive Detail: 750GB 7200rpm SATA hard drive
Optical Drive Write Speed: 16X
Processor Bus (MHz): 1333MHz FSB
Graphics Type: Integrated
Memory Type: PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM
External Ports:
6 USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 back), 1 headphone out (front), 1 microphone/line-in/line-out (back), 1 rear speaker out, 1 side speaker out, 1 center subwoofer out, 1 digital audio out, 2 PS/2, 1 RJ-45, 1 VGA, 1 DVI-D
Energy Compliance: No ENERGY STAR® rating
Chipset: Intel G43 Express Chipset
TV Tuner: No TV tuner
Optical Drive Detail: SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe technology
Card Reader: Front-panel 15-in-1 memory card reader
Webcam: No webcam
Graphics Memory: 32MB integrated shared graphics memory, up to 1695MB total available graphics memory
Weight: 9.75lbs
Installed Memory DIMMs: 4 x 2048MB
Screen Size: No monitor included
Processor Model: Intel® Core¿2 Quad Processor Q8300
Dimensions: 6.97"(W) x 16.85"(D) x 15.32"(H)
Audio: High-definition audio, 8-speaker configurable
Processor Cache Size: 4MB L2 cache
Monitor Size and Type Included: No monitor included
Graphics Brand/ Model: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500
Modem Detail: No modem
Processor Speed (GHz):  2.5GHz

Bruce Eddy wrote:

Hi Brian....that's some mighty hi specs you've got there? Unless you're going into video production to stream to the 'world' it seems a little bit of overkill to me? Especially in lieu of system deals like this out there

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5263757

I'd start with something like that, then add as time and needs and 'cash' permit... It may not be the screamin demon your $900 machine is, but it'll allow you to get beefed up faster and cheaper than that one will too. Unless you're going to be doing some of your video editing stuff at the same time you're playing a monster game like WoW or some such at the same time, the specs you lined up are huge-ish?

Not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to save you some dough on things that might be overkill?

 Now I'll shut up and let you build your dream machine...

Bruce