[triadtechtalk] Re: Internet Options

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 15:10:04 -0700

From: Juanita Kimble

> --from Juanita Kimble <jkimble@xxxxxxxxxxx>--
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***

<snip>

> > I hope yours don't turn out like mine.I stoped and talked with the guys
> that were hooking up the new lines to the big boxes that you see that are
> about 3 miles apart. I ask about the fiber optic wire. They said
> when I make
> a call it will not hit the fiber optic lines until it reaches one of those
> boxes.

If you want DSL, this is actually good. DSL doesn't work if the fiber optic
lines run up your street and you connect to them directly. To make DSL work,
you need to have ordinary copper lines (or superior copper lines) right up
to the box you are talking about from your house.

> I ask about ever getting dsl. They  said it would never
> happen as far
> out as I live. They said I would have to have a box as big as the one that
> are 3 miles apart for my house alone. The real bad news , he said it would
> cost many many thousands of bucks to do it in the first place.

DSL has a maximum reach of about 3 miles from one of those boxes to your
house; cable miles, not as the crow flies. However, unless the cable from
the box is at least twice as long as the distance from you to the box, it
should still be possible.

I think you'd better ask an ISP directly. The guy who gave you that
information may have been misinformed. Heck, the guy who installed my DSL
put the network card in badly, and it wouldn't work. I told him the problem,
he didn't believe me, so I told him I'd take it from there and did it
myself. I wouldn't have let him do it in the first place except I wasn't
sure what was involved, and wanted to see him set up the software first.

You might also check to see if Covad is in your area; they routinely connect
people that the phone company turns down. Unfortunately, there are signs
that they are on their way to Chapter 11.

David Nasset, Sr.

www.freelists.org/webpage/triadtechtalk

//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi