[triadtechtalk] Re: Bazooka

  • From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 04:04:36 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

At a mere 716kb, Bazooka was quick to dnld. and even quicker to install.
Upon starting it asks if you'd like to submit your email address to receive
a newsletter from the manufacturer re the product's ongoing development,
which I declined to do.

It immediately informed me of its data base being 417 days old and requested
permission to dnld. and install an update via its built in api. ZoneAlarm went
through
its "new program wants access" ritual. The dnld. was seemless, except for the
'finished '
and 'update installed', "would you like to scan now" notice. The scan process
was seemless and over in seconds..."No spyware found". The program doesn't
show a progress bar of any sort at any time, making one wonder if it's working
at all.

I then cranked up SPybot, updated its database and ran it.
Spybot checks for 12186 bots, Bazooka searches for 450 some.
Spybot's own 'immunize' feature prevents 506 known malware agents alone.
Spybot's scan was 595 seconds long...no, "No spyware found".

I then uninstalled Bazooka, though not via its own uninstall api.
I used Total Uninstall to do so. I had used TUn to install it in the 1st. place.

It leaves much to be desired, IMO.

A.
'Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.' - Shakespeare