[torontocbm] Re: Archives of 'Bits and Bytes' and 'The Academy'

  • From: Syd Bolton <sbolton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:09:46 -0400

I struggle with this too. What I can say for now is if you want to
watch the "complete" series --- come to the museum. I'd love to make
this all available to everyone and I know we can find a way. I just want
to make sure that I do it in such a way that I don't end up in a legal
mess :)

Stay tuned--literally :)

PS: I'm glad to know the interest is
still high. Those interested in obtaining all the stuff (Bits & Bytes I
& II and the Academy) please send me a private e-mail and I'll start
maintaining a list.
Just replying and saying "I'm interested" is not
enough, send me a private message (ie: don't just reply to this
email!!!)
-------------------------

SUBJECT: [torontocbm] Re:
Archives of 'Bits and Bytes' and 'The Academy'
DATE: Fri, 17 Aug 2012
00:01:10 +0800
FROM: Peter Dreisiger
TO:
torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
REPLY-TO: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

Aside from the original couple of messages, I've been relatively quiet
on this too (seeing as how I'm a /long/ way from Toronto and all).

It's nice to see there's still a general interest in this series (and,
judging by the channel's statistics, a growing one too), and thanks,
Syd, for your clarification regarding redistribution rights.

I guess
this is one of the issues that many of us with an interest in the
history of computing have to grapple with (indeed, it is an issue that
many state archives and libraries also face and have to deal with). In
this case, I feel that the benefits of making this series available once
again -- be they nostalgic, historical or educational -- outweigh the
lack of financial loss suffered by TVO (seeing as the series is no
longer available for sale). I realise (and respect) that others will
disagree with my views on this (or worse), but I tend to respect the
original purpose of copyright much more than the way it (and other
notions of intellectual property) is currently viewed -- especially when
the information being shared is inherently (rather than financially)
valuable.

I'd like to think that if any of the rights holders truly
objected, they'd let me know through the channel, but once a show like
this is broadcast multiple times and around the world, it'd be pretty
hard to destroy all online copies, especially without providing the
opportunity for people to buy a copy -- hopefully (though I don't know
what TVO's attitudes were/are), the creators will take it as a
compliment.

Cheers,

Pete

P.S. With that as context, I would still
be very interested in getting ahold of the the Academy and the second
series of Bits and Bytes.

On 16/08/2012, at 10:58 PM, Syd Bolton
wrote:

I have avoided commenting but just wanted to mention that we
tried to obtain legal rights to these shows so that the Personal
Computer Museum could offer them, but the rights are NOT available and
so these YouTube postings are actually not legal.
I am putting together
the final touches on a full collection of Bits & Bytes, the Academy AND
Bits & Bytes 2 --- I'm just not sure yet how I'm going to deal with
distribution.

I have one more avenue to explore but as you can imagine,
getting rights to these things is difficult and it is complicated when
many of the people involved are no longer available (ie: Billy Van)
etc.

Watch/download them on YouTube while you can. Not saying they will
be taken down, but they very well might be.

-------------------------

SUBJECT: [torontocbm] Re: Archives of 'Bits
and Bytes' and 'The Academy'
DATE: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:54:17 -0400
FROM:
"Mike Stein"
TO:
REPLY-TO: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [3]
Excellent!
Thanks for the heads-up, Brad.

As noted, TVO has had some of the
episodes up for quite a while but it's nice to finally see someone put
them all on line.

Golan had made a DVD set of the B&B episodes a
couple of years ago and was selling them to TPUG folks for a nominal
amount, but he seems to have faded from the scene.

What's different
about the set currently available is that it also contains the
accompanying episodes of The Academy (with Jim Butterfield) and also the
sequel, Bits and Bytes II.

Links:
------
[1]