[torontocbm] Archives of 'Bits and Bytes' and 'The Academy'

  • From: Peter Dreisiger <prd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 21:29:07 +0800

Hi there,

Sorry for the semi-random email (and from someone quite removed from Toronto),
but I've been searching for episodes of 'The Academy' and 'Bits and Bytes II'
for several years now, and I just came across this email thread so I thought
I'd try to raise Steve Gray or Mike Stein.

The original series of 'Bits and Bytes' also aired back in the 1980s on the
Australian Broadcasting Corporation (roughly, our equivalent of your CBC) and
it's the show that really got me into computing, so it definitely holds a
special place for me.  But in addition to the nostalgia, I still think that the
first series, at least (I haven't seen the second), does an excellent job of
explaining quite a few key concepts in computing — a view that's been
reinforced by quite a few of the messages and comments I've received since
making the 1983/4 series available online at
http://youtube.com/user/bitsandbytestvo (it's even been included in college
course notes on compilers and interpreters, and computer music).  Add to this
my interest in learning about, preserving, restoring and sharing knowledge
about the history of computing (including physical machines that can be used
and interacted with) and, well, here I am.

Anyway, I guess I'm writing to see if I am able to get a hold of a copy of this
DVD set (I am, of course, more than willing to pay for time and materials plus
shipping), partly to satisfy my own curiosity (I've seen neither 'The Academy'
nor the second series), and partly to add to collection (unless someone else
wishes to make the other series available).  Near as I can tell from the
messages and emails I've been able to track down, this show is no longer
available for purchase from TVO, and that the episodes they've made available
at http://archive.tvo.org/program/120129/Bits%20and%20Bytes are, likely, all
the episodes they have in their archives.

Well, if anyone is willing to send me a copy of this archive, please let me
know by email (though I'll also be keeping an eye on this list).

Many thanks in advance,

Peter

From http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_T5mvuguw

From http://www.rickstv.com/tvo/feedback2004.html