[tn-moths] Re: winter moth

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:15:17 -0500 (EST)

Rikki,

Obviously an ID can't be made for certain but the primary fliers this
time of year are Fall Cankerworm Moths and Green Cloverworm Moths (with
the later found throughout the year).  I haven't seen a Fall Cankerworm
Moth yet this year but haven't really looked either.  You should find
them any warm night from Christmas to early January.  They are rather
weak, fragile-looking fliers.

In a couple weeks, they will be replaced with Spring Cankerworm Moths.
Then the Phigalia and Psaphida hit and it ramps up from there.

Covell's book gives flight dates that are rather reliable for TN as he
is from KY ... but not easily searchable of course.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009, Rikki Hall wrote:

Hello,

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a small, pale moth flying. The temperature was
43 degrees. About 8pm last night while driving along the Little River, I saw
two more of the same species. All sightings were in Rockford, Blount Co, in
close proximity to Little River. Wingspan was about two centimeters, and I
only got brief glimpses at flying moths, so I can't say much about its
appearance. I wonder, however, if the mere fact that these moths were flying
on December 30 is diagnostic.

Is there a way to search the BAMONA database by time of emergence, or is
there a list somewhere of winter moths?

Thank you,
Rikki Hall
Rockford, TN