[tn-moths] Re: [ncsc-moths] Range info on a couple of Torts

  • From: Hugh McGuinness <hdmcguinness@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 09:59:20 -0400

Hey ALl you Leppers!

Ken, why isn't your Tort Sonia paraplesiana? (NB: there has been confusion
between this and constrictana, but the current understanding of the latter
taxon is that it is restricted to the Gulf Coast.)

[To everyone] And BTW do you have Gilligan et al.'s "Olethruetine Moths of
teh mid-western United States"? If you are going to try to ID Torts without
using a museum collection (i.e., by photo), then this guide is a must. It
will set you back about $90, but it is well worth it, and you will probably
dog-ear so badly within a season or two that you will have to buy a second
copy. Seriously, for all the TN and western NC moth-ers, it will probably
cover close to 100% of the Olethreutines you will find, and for east
coasters about 80%. MPG still has a lot of uncertainty associated with the
living shots of Olethreutines, although Bob has worked hard to show a
definitive collection of museum specimens. Here are the highlights: hard
cover; 306 species covered all shown as spread specimens with high quality
photos; a complete genitalic photo library (for those who like moth porn);
ecological and phenolical info; great frontmatter on how to discuss/analyze
pattern in Olethreutines; a larval key, etc.

You can order the book through this link:
http://www.tortricidae.com/olethreutinebook.asp

Hugh