[tn-moths] Watauga County Moths--12 May 2011

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 09:42:25 -0400

Moth'ers,

More new moths last night including 2 lifers:  Acronicta morula 9236
and The Bee Moth (Aphomia sociella) 5629.  I've also been seeing a
number of Antaeotricha schlaegeri 1011 at my sheets (no A. leucillana
however).  Continuing the past discussion of how to separate these two
spp., I'd like to again emphasize that A. schlaegeri has a very clear,
creamy white coloration on the forewing base and thorax immediately
anterior to the jet black thoracic tuft.  It's also significantly
larger than A. leucillana, a really good mark when both are present.
Another thing I've noticed is that A. schlaegeri often has a "crooked"
appearance to the distal end of the forewing, caused when the moth
tightly rolls its wings.  This mark can clearly be seen on the
attached photo.

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm