[tn-moths] Watauga County Moths--11 May 2011

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:37:32 -0400

Moth'ers,

Another great night for moths.  Had to dodge torrential rains and
intense lightning but it was well worth it.  I added another 10 FOY
species which brings my season total to 211.  Also had at least two
lifers (and potentially 4 others that I'm still working on).  The
biggest surprise was the Goldcap Moss-eater Moth (Epimartyria
auricrinella) #0001.  Considered to be the most primitive moth that
occurs in eastern North America and one that is a scavenger feeder,
believed to feed on liverworts.  The adult is notable in Lepidoptera
in having functional mandibles which apparently it uses to feed on
pollen.

The other lifer was the Little Cloud Ancylis Moth (Ancylis nubeculana) #3354.

Good mothing!

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm