[tn-moths] Re: More ID help

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 09:27:51 -0400

Hugh, Rich, Diana, et al,

I'd like to weigh in on the discussion concerning Olethreutes.  I
believe Diana's moth is most likely O. ferrolineana based on the
preponderance of gold on the forewing.  After checking the plates and
descriptions in Gilligan et al (Olethreutine of the Midwestern United
States), there is also a size difference between the 3 species (O.
ferrolineana, O. coruscana, and O. astrologana); O. astrologana tends
to be signficantly smaller than the other two, 5.5-8.5mm vs 7-10mm for
the other two.  I also had an Olethreutes this morning that I've seen
in previous years.  My moth is tiny, approx. 5.5 mm and is much darker
than Diana's moth with alternating bands of orange and black of about
equal proportion.  I believe my moth is probably O. astrologana based
on its small size and overall darker coloration.  I've attached a
photo for comparison.

I agree with Hugh that this complex is probably not separable to
species; however, I also think that some individuals that are
distinctly smaller and darker overall, such as my moth, can be
identified as O. astrologana with some degree of confidence.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm