[tn-moths] Re: Grammia

  • From: Hugh McGuinness <hdmcguinness@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 14:07:30 -0400

Greeting Tn--moth-ers,

After having been kicked off Tn-moths for the 10th time, you may note that I
have signed up under a different e-mail account. Let's see if this one
works. The other e-mail still works for personal correspondence and is in
fact preferred.

As for Ken's Arctiine, I believe that it is indeed Grammia, but neither
virgo nor parthenice. (There are simply too many radiating cream colored
lines to fit P nais in my experience.) The black trailing edge to the HW and
the black spot that is indented into it, as well as the triangular patch
that does not quite connect at the costa near the apex suggest phyllira, a
moth I have never seen.

As for separating virgo from parthenice, I believe the only safe way to do
so is using the HW, which is spotted in the median area in virgo and
unspotted in parthenice. I also believe that virgo flies in early summer and
that parthenice flies in late summer (late Aug thru mid September here on
Long Island, NY). My guess is that it is still too early for virgo in TN.

Hugh McGuinness