[tn-moths] FOYs Washington County

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:03:14 -0400

04949 European Corn Borer (Crambidae) - Ostrinia nubilalis 8-29-10
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27634081@N06/4944385513/in/set-72157608707935389/
06654 One-spotted Variant (Geometridae) - Hypagyrtis unipunctata 8-29-10
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27634081@N06/4944385381/in/set-72157608707935389/
06655 Esther Moth (Geometridae) - Hypagyrtis esther 7-7-10
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27634081@N06/3293091272/in/set-72157608707935389/

These all came to my porch light in Johnson City, TN.
I spent considerable time this morning working on 6654 and 6655 IDs. For the
first time I feel confident in distinguishing the two in some of my own photos,
past and present. I would appreciate others thoughts on this challenge.
For any one who may have noticed, yes I have changed moth sheets. I also went
from a 15 watt 18" to a 40 watt 48" black light.
Here's a thought regarding FOY tallies. I imagine some of us will be going back
and working on IDs, thus FOY records, long after 2010 is past. That's as it
should be but it may create some unclarity in who has how many (not that its a
competition). So for the sake of clarity, I propose we tally records that were
ID and entered before 1/1/11. Good luck to any one trying to catch Jean.

Larry McDaniel