[tn-moths] Re: FOYs Carter County

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:21:24 -0400

Merrill, Thanks for catching that. Good call.  Larry McDaniel

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:44:51 -0400
Subject: [tn-moths] Re: FOYs Carter County
From: jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx
To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Larry,

Your Common Idia photo looks more like 8368 – Tetanolita floridana to me.  The
picture angle may be confusing me but I'm very familiar with I. aemula and that
species has more rounded wings (not sharply triangular) and the yellow spot on
the forewing is distinctly roundish, not linear.

Merrill

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

05399 Lesser Vagabond Sod Webworm (Crambidae) - Agriphila ruricolella 9-11-10
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27634081@N06/5014625904/in/set-72157608707935389/
07369 Geometer Moth (Geometridae) - Xanthorhoe pacardata 9-11-10
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27634081@N06/5014625936/in/set-72157608707935389/
08323 Common Idia (Erebidae) - Idia aemula 9-11-10

These were found during the moth sheet demonstration that Kris Light and I set
up at the Roan Mountain Fall Naturalist Rally at Roan Mountain State Park.
5399 and 7369 were firsts for me.
Kris Light and Merrill Lynch helped with the ID on 7369.

Larry McDaniel
Johnson City, TN

--
J. Merrill Lynch