[tn-moths] Re: FOY Washington County

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 06:57:52 -0400

Thanks Merrill and Ken for the excellent feedback. I entered it on tn-moths
2013 to genus level and submitted it to BugGuide.
Larry

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 05:46:59 -0700
From: kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tn-moths] Re: FOY Washington County
To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The information on BG is confusing so I'm not sure if this is Acrolepiopsis
incertella or A. heppneri. I can't imagine a micro emerging in May, flying in
May and June and then hanging around long enough to overwinter.
If the emergence times are correct then I would say this has to be incertella.
This is a little early but the moth is in pretty good shape and looks
relatively fresh. Maybe Merrill has more info
 on this.
Seasonlarvae present in April and May
adults fly in May and June

Life CycleThe larval hostplant terminal leaf is rolled and tied together at the
edges by a larva, which lives and feeds inside the rolled leaf in early spring.
After the larva finishes feeding, it vacates its rolled-leaf shelter and spins
a meshwork silken cocoon, inside which it pupates. Adults emerge in late May and
 overwinter. One generation per year.

See AlsoThe similar Acrolepiopsis heppneri is a fall species, being present as
a larva in September and October, and emerging as an adult in
 October.  Ken Childs

http://tinyurl.com/FinishFlagFarmsMoths
http://www.finishflagfarms.com