[tn-moths] Re: Blount FOY

  • From: rdhealy1951@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:15:07 -0400

That is a Many-lined Carpet Moth.
Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Rikki Hall <sourpersimmon@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, Apr 14, 2010 10:26 pm
Subject: [tn-moths] Blount FOY

Based on Rich Hailey's IDs and some BugGuide affirmation:

4/9/10

Marathyssa basalis 8956
Plagodis fervidaria 6843
Metarranthis obfirmaria 6832
Telphusa longifasciella 1858
Selenia kentaria 6818

Another is Lambdina sp
I still need help with this one, which has a Eupithecia sp and an intricately
striped critter.

I really like the Marathyssa, and it was back last night, along with several
new moths and the year's first long-horned beetle, a tiny one. A fat, clumsy
beetle was flying last night, another foy. And the April firefly!

Marathyssa folds its wings like curtains, making them narrow and smaller in
profile, and it tucks its hindwing out under the forewing. These are both
traits I associate with sphinx moths, along with powerful flight, stiff, long
forewings, a thorax big enough to drive those wings and a tendency to curl
their abdomen. Obviously, sphinx is not the right name; I just use it because
they best exemplify the suite of traits I see in all these moths. I think the
Selenia, Metarranthis and their tribe, Anagogini are closer to Bombycoidea than
Geometroidea. Also, Marathyssa and the Euteliidae family fit better near
Bombycoidea than Noctuoidea. I know I am wrong to call them sphinx moths, but
it is no more wrong than incoherent spattering of superfamilies across
Lepidoptera ;)

I suppose I should also mention that I think Saturniidae belongs in Noctuoidea,
not Bombycoidea. They have big, powerful thoraxes, obviously, but they lack the
"sphinx" gestalt.

Rikki Hall
Rockford, Tenn