[tn-moths] Blount FOY

  • From: Rikki Hall <sourpersimmon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:29:20 -0400

I've got a good one, will upload photos later. Definitely first of the year,
but also one I do not recall seeing many of in any year. I live in good moth
habitat.

It is stout and needs to vibrate its wings before taking flight, like a
Bombycoidea or sibling taxa. Hindwings protrude from under the forewings,
disrupting its shape, and the projections are darker than the pale forewing.
Forewings blotched in gray and white, tuft of yellow hairs atop the thorax,
mildly plumose antennae. Other than being small with a mundane rest posture,
it behaves like a sphinx or other powerful flyer.

Rikki Hall
Rockford, Blount Co