[tn-moths] Re: Agonopterix sp.?

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 06:46:15 -0400

Here is what I've learned from the MONA fascicle 6.2, Oecophoridae.
Agonopterix psoraliella 0891 can be eliminated as a possibility--its a
western species; A. clemensella 0862 is a northeastern species ranging
from southern Canada down to Washington DC, Ohio, and Illinois area
(close enough to our area, I think, that it cannot be eliminated as a
possibility), its foodplant is various umbels (Umbelliferae); A.
argillacea 0889 ranges across the entire US and definitely occurs in
our area, it is polyphagous (many different species of food plants).

Two other species occur in our area and have generally uniform
gray-brown wings that look similar:  A. nigrinotella 0861.1 (not
illustrated in MPG), the foodplant is hickory (Carya spp.) and A.
nebulosa 0894, foodplant is pussytoes (Antennaria spp.).

As it often seems to be, the more you learn, the more confused you
become.  In this case, it appears there are several species that are
possible but I'd lean towards clemensella based on appearance although
its range appears to be a little to the north of us.

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm