[tn-moths] 16 species, some FOY Blount

  • From: Rikki Hall <sourpersimmon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:04:15 -0400

My porches were full of moths last night, at least 16 different kinds. Photos
here <http://www.bluemelon.com/sourpersimmon/porchmoths4-6-10>. Most
abundant were P. atomaris, C. spadix, M. signataria and E. clementaria. Only
one or two tuliptree beauties visited. There were at least 3 different
microleps, but I only got a good photo of one. Likewise, I saw a plume moth
but no photo. Some of the common oak moths were larger than usual,
presumably females. Likewise, the black-spotted browns seemed to be two
different sizes, male and female.

Likely FOYs include one reminiscent of Eupithecia, but about twice the size.
There were two sizes of these, but probably male and female rather than
different species. Another held its wings closed over its back and reminded
me of a Lycaenid butterfly, but no knob on the antenna. Another I'll call a
triangle moth for now, hoping someone can ID it. There was also the small,
powerful moth I described last night, labeled "miniSphinx" for now. There
was a pale moth with a bare, orange thorax, either a FOY or a heavily worn
common oak moth. There were also two different dark, ornate moths.

Additional remarks are included with the photos, and help IDing these will
be appreciated!

Rikki Hall
Rockford, Blount Co