[TN-Butterflies] Re: numbering the streaks of the tulip

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:51:26 -0600

My commentary from earlier today, let me hasten to say, was not in any
way directed at the current effort to develop a Tennessee moth listserv
to operate in parallel with the Tennessee butterfly listserv.  I believe
it is probably time for a listserv dedicated to Tennessee moths to be
initiated, and I plan to become one of the first subscribers to this new
listserv when it appears.

If we have these two related but distinct listservs available, all
persons who have really interesting material about leps in general can
always send messages to both listservs to be sure that everyone
interested gets to see this material.  But for those whose interests are
more focused on one group of leps than the other, the option of not
having to sort through material that is outside the scope of one's
interest is a good one to make available.

There have been some defections from TN-Butterflies already because of
the amount of material that this listserv has generated (I think Ken
Childs can confirm this); some folks just don't have time or willingness
to process it all and have gone away.  Creating a moth listserv might
ease the processing burden enough to keep more folks on one or the other
of the two listservs.

Thanks, Larry McDaniel, for your willingness to create TN-Moths; I look
forward to this new listserv and to many years of exciting discoveries
of the moth kind in my home county and around the state.

Steve Stedman

Cookeville (Putnam County)