[TN-Butterflies] Re: checkered skipper in Knox Co

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 07:11:12 -0700 (PDT)

Rikki, you won't be able to make a call on the ID by looking at the
Checkered-Skipper so just chalk it up as a Checkered-Skipper sp.  White
Checkered-Skippers are steadily moving northward so it could have been either
species.

Some of my pastures are full of Prickly Mallow and that's why I've been seeing
lots of Checkered-Skippers here. They're feeding on it, mating on it and laying
eggs on it.

I've attached a pic of a particularly bright one I saw recently enjoying some
horse manure. When in flight, it was extremely white.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com