[TN-Butterflies] Zebra Swallowtail and More in Hamilton Co.

  • From: schottbirds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:46:15 +0000 (UTC)

Hamilton Co.
May 20, 2009

I missed Bill Haley's field trip yesterday because I was out of the state
attending graduation ceremonies so he graciously took me today to the hog
peanut patch where we saw five Golden Banded-Skippers, a life butterfly for me.
Next, we drove to the Baltimore Checkerspot field in North Hamilton Co. and
were surprised by a very unusual sight as we pulled up. An adult Bald Eagle
flew up from the field where it and four Turkey Vultures had been feasting on a
rabbit killed by a recent mowing. We found a half dozen Baltimore Checkerspots
and hope that this field is not the only remaining field for this species in
the area. What will happen if the farmer decides to fill in the low, wet areas?

Our last stop was at the Rock Creek Gorge segment of the Cumberland Trail in
Soddy Daisy off Leggett Rd where we searched unsuccessfully for Early
Hairstreaks. I was successful in photographing a very worn Zebra Swallowtail in
a large patch of Pawpaws. Photo can be seen at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36709258@N07/3549232701/

Susan Schott
Chattanooga