[TN-Butterflies] Sleepy Orange, slightly different

  • From: Rita Venable <ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:03:52 -0500

Darel Hess spotted this today while we were out butterflying and botanizing
in the Lebanon area. It was the size of a Little Yellow and was behaving
like one. It has, however, turned out to be a Sleepy Orange (most are the
size of a Cabbage White), but one with VERY few markings on the underside.
Just something to be aware when you are out butterflying. In this glade area
where we were, we saw Cloudless Sulphur, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur,
Sleepy Orange and Little Yellow all flying together and nectaring on gumweed
and Houstonia.

We also saw a very small Common Buckeye, almost half the normal size. Most
unusual. There were lots of Common Buckeyes, courting and mating.

Rita