[TN-Butterflies] Peck in Polk

  • From: Julius Basham <juliusbasham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 18:02:36 -0400

This little fella has shied away from the camera for years, but Sunday I found one that was courtin', so he was a little distracted.
The photo below is of a male Peck's Skipper.  The first documented Peck's for Polk County.  August 1, 2010

It was a very odd day, numbers wise, with three species wildly abundant.
There were 62 male Zabulons seen, sometimes two or three to a clover.

Only one female Zabulon was out, so she was very, very popular.

There were 33 Swarthy Skippers seen in one 1/2 mile roadside area.
Some were old. (this one was a regular Will Rogers with his proboscis)

Some were fresh.

And every thing in between.

There were 77 Appalachian Browns observed.  By far the most I've ever seen in one day.

This little Robberfly was taking his lunch on a Styrofoam plate.

If it's true that there is someone for every one, then it looks like these two made the right choice.
The female Phantom Crane Fly is the upper one, with the large abdomen filled with eggs. She was the one that did all the flying and maneuvering,
while he just stayed attached, and hoped for the best.  After they separate she will lay her eggs on the underside of some blade of grass, or leaf,  near moist soil.
(sometimes even in the water)  In a few weeks the larvae will hatch out and feed on decaying matter, below the soil, until next summer when the process will take place all over again.

He didn't have much of a face, but from what I could see of it, he just looked exhausted.  The adults only live a few days, so they have to make it count.
At least he had the class to dress for the occasion, complete with Tux and Spats.
Both of these adults still had all six of their long legs, which was indicative of freshness. Usually, by the second or third day of life, a bird or some other predator,
will grab one by the leg, which just snaps off, so that the Crane Fly can make his getaway.
There is an excellent Crane Flies of Pennsylvania presentation at  http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/cranefly/tipulinae.htm  on the Carnegie Museum of Natural History website.
Here is a link to the page for the Phantom Crane Fly family, at  http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/cranefly/ptychopteridae.htm
I'm amazed that anyone can successfully mount specimens of Crane Flies and get all the legs to go where you want. It must be a Heart Surgeon with steady hands.

The last photo is of a Moth, either a  Crocus Geometer (Xanthotype sospeta) or a False Crocus Geometer (Xanthotype urticaria).
My guess is False, I hope it's true.  He looked like he had on some green lensed sunglasses, looking at a tiny white leafhopper.
It sure would make a fine Butterfly, maybe something in the Metalmark family. If we were in Chiapas, it could be a Black-bellied Jewelmark.

Julius Basham
Chattanooga