[TN-Butterflies] OT - Emerald Ash Borer

  • From: "Doug Bruce" <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Moths" <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 19:50:50 -0400

Apologies for the off-topic post.

At some point during the past month, I thought I remembered someone on
tn-butterflies or tn-moths requesting an ID on a green beetle.  It might have
been just an incidental ID request on someone's Flickr moth page, instead of a
direct request to the list.  Frustratingly, I can't find the original request
now.  Does anyone else recall this?

I was reminded of it this evening when I ran across some information on the
Emerald Ash Borer, a very destructive invasive exotic beetle (which happens to
be green).  It has already been found in neighboring Virginia, Kentucky and
Missouri:
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/
http://bugguide.net/node/view/27565

Obviously there are lots of different green beetles out there, so it's not very
likely that the missing ID request beetle was actually an EAB.  Still, it might
be worth familiarizing ourselves with its appearance, since we are spending a
lot of time out in the field, so we are more likely than most folks to discover
an infestation.

- Doug