[TN-Butterflies] Re: Natchez Trace Parkway - April 17, 2009

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 10:04:50 -0500

On April 17, my almost 96-year old Dad and I took our semi-annual drive down
the Natchez Trace Parkway from its north end in Nashville, 59 miles to
Meriwether Lewis Monument, where we had lunch in the picnic area. It was a
perfect spring day with sunny skies, temperatures in the 70's and a light
south wind. There were a number of 'flys seen during the drive to and fro
but most were not identified as it was not practical to stop often. The most
common were over a 100 sulphurs, probably Clouded or Orange (they looked
lemon colored as you drove by). Those that were identified are listed to
site/county along the Trace.

    Mileage Marker 399.8, Natchez Trace Parkway. Hickman County (the best I
can determine).

*       Zebra Swallowtail (1). Injured on road.

    Meriwether Lewis Monument (picnic area). Lewis County. 353049N and
0872718W.

*       Juvenal's Duskywing (1 verified); see attached digital. There were
10 duskywings in a small area, but only one confirmed as a Juvenal's. Thanks
to Ken Childs and Steve Stedman for verifying one of the individuals.
*       Eastern Tailed-Blue (6); see attached digital. Thanks to Ken for
verifying this.
*       Not identified were three swallowtails that were black and a small
white 'fly that was not a Cabbage White.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN