[TN-Butterflies] Re: Gemmed Satyr

  • From: Rita Venable <ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 09:34:19 -0600

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing these, and I see what you are saying about the
individuals on Sept 12 and 24. Each date has one Gemmed Satyr that looks
like "inductura" with less distinct lines. They are also supposed to be a
bit browner on the underside, however, and these actually look a little
lighter. The Scott book also says that the lines are "often closer
together." [p. 236]

I am not seeing any definitive "inducturas" so far. This is a mystery.
Something to look for this spring, or dig deeper on. If we are not seeing it
here in TN in the spring, I am hesitant to even bring it up in the book.

Rita