[TN-Butterflies] Re: Gemmed Satyr

  • From: "Doug Bruce" <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 06:59:14 -0500

Nothing in my Gemmed Satyr photos perfectly matches the Cech/Tudor image of the
inductura variant.  However, there seem to be two different forms in the late
season.

I compiled all of my Gemmed Satyr photos (even the bad ones if they showed the
line enclosing the spots), unmanipulated except for cropping, with dates and
locations noted:

http://s972.photobucket.com/albums/ae204/DougLepidoptera/Gemmed_Satyrs/

Notice the difference in intensity of cross-wing line markings between the two
September 12th individuals (both Union County).  This difference can be seen
again between the two September 24th individuals (both Roane County).  In both
cases, the individuals were found within about 100 feet of each other.  The
difference probably isn't due to wear, since the wings are not tattered.
Possibly gender differences?

Doug Bruce
Oak Ridge, TN