[TN-Butterflies] FOY for Decatur County

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:32:52 -0500

I took a few hours at a few glades in Decatur County on Friday 4/9/10.  Things
are definitely picking up.  There appears to be a nice irruption of Juvenal's
Duskywings this spring and in Decatur County at least, lots of Juniper
Hairstreaks.  Attached are a few pics.  Note especially the "Violet" form of
Juniper Hairstreak that will occasionally show up.  They are absolutely
jewel-like when viewed live.

Here's the list, all are FOY as far as I know:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 8 (photo)

Zebra Swallowtail - 4 (photo)

Pipevine Swallowtail - 4 (photo)

Clouded Sulphur - 2

Orange Sulphur - 4

Falcate Orangetip - 5

Red-banded Hairstreak - 1

Juniper Hairstreak - 20+ (photo, "green" and "violet")

Henry's Elfin - 4 (photo)

Eastern Pine Elfin - 1

Eastern Tailed Blue - 30+ (photo)

Spring Azure - 5 (photo, if verified, BAMONA)

Goatweed Leafwing - 7 (photo)

Red Admiral - 1

Pearl Crescent - 20+ (photo)

Gemmed Satyr - 5 (photo)

Silver Spotted Skipper - 2

Juvenal's Duskywing - 50+ (photo, underside)

Sleepy Duskywing - 1

Cobweb Skipper - 1 (photo)

Salt and Pepper Skipper - 1

Photos were not obtained for those not noted, but good visual ID.   Several
other things were seen, but not ID'd.