[TN-Butterflies] Re: FOY for Chester County

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:26:53 -0700 (PDT)

A follow up to this trip.
These were seen at a friends place in western Chester county. Their property
borders Hardeman county and has a good amount of forest that regularly gets
flooded. This area was under a lot of water when we had the floods at the
beginning of May. Last year at this time I saw a few Browns, good numbers of
Pearly-eyes and  big numbers of Satyrs. This year in the same area and during
the same time of day the numbers were way down.
Pearly-eye species  1
Northern Pearly-eye  5
Southern Pearly-eye  1
App Brown  4
Carolina Satyr  5 (last year 40)
Little Wood Satyr  0 (last year 50)

The drop in the number of Satyrs may be partially due to the flooding but I'm
not seeing as many of either species at my place as I did last year so 2009 may
just have been a good year for Satyrs.

The Confused Cloudywing, Lace-winged Roadside-Skipper and the Southern
Broken-dash were seen at their house which is surrounded by the forest. All
were
feeding on Zinnias. I saw the Confused when I first got there at 11:00 and it
was still hanging around when I left after 4:00.