[TN-Butterflies] Cloudless Sulphurs acting silly

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:07:28 -0700 (PDT)

I was just out by my pool watching some Cloudless Sulphurs feeding on Petunias
when one landed on a flower and spread its wings. It stayed that way for about
5
seconds and then went on to the next flower and perched the usual way with its
wings closed. I watched it move around for awhile and it didn't hold its wings
open again. I'm wondering if this was a display to the many other C. Sulphurs
that were around. Have any of you seen this behavior before?

A few minutes later, a Cloudless Sulphur landed on my chin and another one flew
up and did some serious displaying about 2 inches in front of my mouth! After 5
seconds or so they flew off together.

 Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County