[TN-Butterflies] Re: Brown Elfins

  • From: Paulette Haywood <habitatdesigns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx>, <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:32:23 +0000

Unfortunately I don't know where Brown Elfins are in the West Tennessee
Uplands, but I do know about the Florida Panhandle records.  A couple of years
ago Mary Ann Friedman was surprised to spot Brown Elfins there.  Since her
initial discovery, another couple of sites have been found.   We saw them there
last year flying near Hessel's Hairstreaks of all things.  Not a shabby day in
the field!  As for host plants, they were using Mountain Laurel.  I have also
seen them using Mt. Laurel in North Carolina.  Good luck with the search!
Paulette Haywood Ogard/ Birmingham, Alabama

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:07:12 -0600
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Brown Elfins
From: ritavenable@xxxxxxxxx
To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
Just wondering if West TN folks have "seen or heard tell" of any Brown Elfins
in the West Tennessee Uplands. The BAMONA map shows three Brown Elfin records
in the panhandle of FL, but I wonder where these records came from, as this
species is not listed in two of the FL field guides that I have.

Looks like that all our TN records are East Highland Rim eastward and this
follows the host plant range maps of the family Ericaceae roughly.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Callophrys-augustinus
The host plants for this species in TN are mostly east of Nashville, but there
are a few that ease into West TN. They will also use "buckwheats and dodder,
Ceanothus, etc." [Caterpillars in the Field and Garden].

Something to look for this spring!
Rita Venable, Franklin, TNWilliamson Co.