[TN-Bird] snowy owl--YES

  • From: "Ruth Luckado" <luck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:24:12 -0600

Thank you again to all of you that sent help in finding the Snowy Owl, and a
special thank you to those who wish to know that we saw it.

We didn't get it in the morning ( Wed, the 21st), but went to eat at the
Thompson's Station Grill  ( great food--at Thompson's Station, of
course--just north of Spring Hill), came back and Vida sighted it
silhouetted on the ridge, across from Rippavilla.  We parked in the gated
entrance pull-off, put the scope up on the little rise to the left at the
corner of the fence and spent about 2 hours watching and sharing with people
that kept stopping to look--some birders, some just curious, but enjoyed
it--one young boy from Columbia State Community College who said " Can I go
get my fiancee?  She would love this.  I replied "How long will it take?  To
which he answered " Five minutes"
She did love it.  I met Kathy Shaw, and ________McCloskey ( sorry, but names
just don't stick with me anymore)  Kathy's Dad lives in Tullahoma--she's in
Nashville, now.  Boyd Sharp came while we were there, with his wife and
daughter--another funny story.  We were wrapped up so, for the cold weather
that we didn't know each other--he finally said "Don't I know  you? and I
said "Who are you"-- we had a good laugh over that, for we've known each
other for years.

Back to the bird.   It was on the ridge, at first, but came down  a bit
closer and sat in the field, with the sun from the south lighting it up
beautifully.  Like someone else reported, 4 people walking toward it on the
ridge, flushed it but it just flew north a short distance, lit and was still
sitting there when we left, about 4PM

Vida Sherwood had a Brown-headed Nuthatch in her backyard on 20Jan09. She
didn't see it at the feeder, but close, on some standing frozen water in the
backyard, as if it was trying to get water.  Vida lives on Harton Blvd.,
right across the road from the AEDC property, and the Skeet Range,and has
woods behind her house.  This is the first BHNH I have heard of in Coffee
County.  What are the records of this bird extending its range in our
direction?

Ruth Luckado
Tullahoma, Tn
luck@xxxxxxxxx