[TN-Bird] photo quiz

  • From: "Chris Sloan" <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:16:53 -0500

Warning - not directly related to birds of TN/KY.

Over the years, I've been a fairly regular participant on Brian
Patteson's excellent pelagic trips off of North Carolina and Virginia
(go to www.seabirding.com for more details).  Since we're in landlocked
states, and since Brian spoke at the KOS spring meeting, I thought it
might be fun to post a little photo quiz with some of my photos from
over the years.  Before I post the link, first a couple of notes.

1.  I've assigned point values to each part of the quiz.  In some cases,
you are required to explain your answer - I reserve the right to award
partial credit.  At the end of the quiz (which is whenever I feel like
taking it down - probably after next weekend), I'll post the top
performers.  I'll have one category for overall and one for birds only
(there are a few cetacean pics).

2.  Unless you have a lot of pelagic experience, at least half of these
will require you to crack open a book or three, or do some reading on
the internet.  I intended this to be a pretty challenging quiz, but the
reason it's challenging is because this is a pretty foreign landscape
for most of us.  I hope this quiz will prompt you to do some studying
and maybe go on a trip or two in the near future.

3.  In many cases, I've deliberately selected photos that are not that
great.  Most photos were taken with a Panasonic Lumix FZ-20 5.1 mp
digital camera with 432 mm lens - I could not recommend this camera more
strongly.  A few are frame grabs from a video camera.  I suspect you'll
be able to tell which ones are which.

I hope you enjoy the quiz.  It's intended to be challenging and to show
you how interesting the pelagic ecosystem is in the Gulf Stream.

One quick note about the trips this year - on Memorial Day, the Hatteras
boat had TWO European Storm-Petrels, a bird for which there is only one
accepted ABA area record.  Astonishingly, the Manteo boat had another
one that same day.  Ever more astonishingly, the Manteo boat had ANOTHER
one on Tuesday.  To cap it off, they had another one yesterday.  Pretty
amazing phenomenon at work, by all appearances.

Here's the link to the quiz:

http://home.comcast.net/~chris.sloan/index.html

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN