[TN-Bird] our wedding

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:55:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Well yesterday was a big day for me, and birding was only a minor
part of it.  Tracey Everson and I hiked up to Gregory?s Bald in Great
Smoky Mountains National Park where a friend married us.

Maybe I?m too much of a bird geek, or, or maybe it helped keep me
from being nervous, but I did keep a checklist while driving the
cove, and while hiking.

The last bird I saw before our 3 pm wedding was 4 Cedar Waxwings.
During the short ceremony we were serenaded by Eastern Towhees and
Indigo Buntings, while Chimney Swifts flew patrol over us.  Perhaps
the swifts are responsible for the fact that a large storm deviated
from it?s apparent course at the last minute, leaving us dry, but
providing an impressive view and bass rumbles.  We thought we were
gonna get drenched!  We also wondered if we needed to evacuate the
high ridge in a hurry.  Fortunately neither was the case.

The Flame Azaleas are about a week away from peak, so folks should
think about heading up there.  (numerous reports tell me the Elkmont
synchronous fireflies are at peak right now)

Here is our list.  Only a couple misses.

And yes, she *did* say yes  :-)

We're off to Ecuador on Sunday, for 2 weeks.  Wish us luck!

Turkey Vulture
Broad-winged Hawk
Wild Turkey
Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker

Acadian Flycatcher
Great-crested Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow

Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird

Cedar Waxwing (2 pairs at the bald)

Northern Parula
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Worm-eating Warbler
Ovenbird
Yellow-throated Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Canada Warbler
Scarlet Tanager

Dark-eyed Junco
Eastern Towhee
Field Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Brown-headed cowbird
American Goldfinch

In addition to birds, we saw:
Several deer ? antlers on the males are more than half grown now.
A Ring-necked Snake just 4 inches long
A 4 foot Black Rat Snake that climbed a 5-foot diameter Hemlock with
no branches for the first 40 feet ? a sight that amazes me every time
I see it!
A Black-bellied Salamander

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Now living in Maryville, TN
Still working in Great Smoky Mountains
National Park

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
Ralph Waldo Emerson