[TN-Bird] odd-sounding red eyed vireo

  • From: <ethden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:59:20 -0500

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Nashville-Davidson, Co. TN

Early last May a small group of birders at Radnor Lake were intrigued by an
odd-sounding vireo. We heard the bird before seeing it. It sounded like a
red-eyed vireo, but the song was slower, a bit like that of a blue-headed, but
not as high pitched. However, the oddest feature to its song as it whistled its
series of phrase/questions, was the addition from time to time of a few final
notes that sounded like "PIT-tew-EE", with falling and then rising intonation.
When we finally spotted the bird after searching for several minutes, we
confirmed it was indeed a red-eyed vireo. The bird was around for a few days
and then, to my knowledge, heard no more.

Today I heard the same odd vireo song at Radnor along the road leading from the
West Parking lot to the dam. Short of a banding identification, I cannot
confirm this is the very same red-eyed vireo, but if it is not, it is a
graduate of the same voice school!

Kevin Bowden
Nashville, TN