[TN-Bird] new yard warblers in Lynchburg, ST Flycatcher in Christiana

  • From: Laura Jennings McCall <laurajmccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:27:19 -0500

While the weather seems to have triggered an uptick in bird activity
in my yard (Lynchburg, Moore County), it has made getting out and
watching them less than appealing.  So I haven't done a lot of quality
birdwatching in the last several days, but I have picked up two new
yard species anyway.

Monday, October 12 - Black-throated Green Warbler
Tuesday, October 13 - Tennessee Warbler.  There was actually a whole
lot of warbler activity Tuesday afternoon when the rain slowed to a
sprinkle and I was trying to do some yard work, so I went in to grab
my binoculars. When I came back out, most of the birds had moved on to
a more distant hackberry tree that was horribly backlit, so this was
the only one I could get a good ID on.  Who knows what else was
there?  If I'd been just a little quicker...

Other than that, we still had a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird as of
Wednesday (10/14) (I wasn't here yesterday and haven't watched for her
today) and have had an increased level of activity from the
chickadees, titmice, Downy Woodpeckers, and Red-bellied Woodpeckers.
We had taken the feeders down for several weeks when we noticed
several House Finches with eye disease, and neither they nor the
goldfinches seem to have noticed that we put them back up.

I saw a single Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in Christiana (Rutherford
County) Wednesday afternoon (10/14).  This time it was on the power
line that runs along Parsons Road, and it was visible from Highway
231, immediately south of Christiana Elementary School.  Based on the
tail length, I think it was the male. I pulled in the church parking
lot and scanned the landscape to see if I could locate others, but I
had no luck.  This was the same power line where I saw three Scissor-
tails about a month ago (9/13).

Laura McCall
Lynchburg, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES