[TN-Bird] migrants in Nashville, TN

  • From: Frank Fekel <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:53:44 -0600 (CST)

Early Sunday morning in the River Plantation subdivision of Bellevue on
the western outskirts of Nashville, I spent a few minutes looking for
migrants from my postage stamp front yard.  This vantage point is atop a
bank that is about 70 yards from the Harpeth River.  First, I found an
EASTERN PHOEBE hawking insects.  Then a flock of chickadees moved in
to feed on the extensive collection of weed seeds.  Along with this
small flock were 3 TENNESSEE WARBLERs.  As I contemplated heading back
into the warmth of my house, a COOPER'S HAWK streaked into view
followed by a group of perhaps a dozen EUROPEAN STARLINGs.  The hawk
landed in a nearby bare tree where the starlings buzzed it once before
giving up the chase.

Frank Fekel
Tennessee State University
Center of Excellence in Information Systems
330 10th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37203  USA