[tn-bird] Re: first migrant

  • From: mgreene@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:24:22 -0500

Yes, as Jeff stated, the Black-and-white Warbler is rare in West Tennessee
during the summer but not totally absent.  I've had them at the following
locations in West Tennessee during the summer months of June & July:  Big
Cypress Tree State Natural Area in Weakley County, Walnut Log Road at
Reelfoot in Obion County, the WMA road at Meeman-Shelby State Park in
Shelby County, and Chickasaw NWR in Lauderdale Co.   I don't have the exact
dates and years in front of me but they were all since 1990.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN

                      OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                 To:       tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      tn-bird-bounce@fr        cc:

                      eelists.org              Subject:  [tn-bird] Re: first
migrant

                      07/18/2002 10:34

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      tn-bird

In a message dated 7/18/02 8:50:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
PYRPYRFECT@xxxxxxx writes:

> The difference between highland E TN and lowland W TN
>
> Van Harris,

Although very scarce in west TN, not completely absent in the summer. Over
the years I've found them on 4 occasions in June and July. One male in June
along Island 40 Road and another on the hill side off Herring Hill Road
north
of Shelby Forest in late June both locations in Shelby Co. A female was
found
in early June on top of the bluff near Randolph, TN and another the last of
June on the west side of Reelfoot Lake also on the bluff north of Samburg.
never pursued a nest but assumed these were nesters or maybe just lost for
summer. I'm sure there are other summer records for west TN.

By mid July a few of warbler species have started their southward movement
but few in the field get lucky and see these first stealth migrators.

I also encountered Black-and-White Warblers on two occasions near the
Tennessee River just east of Clifton in Wayne Co. Both of these birds were
found while I was helping Hans Beste, a world renowned wildlife
photographer
from Australia, work on his American list. On a 3 day jaunt in west TN in
early July we saw 17 species of warblers.......

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.