[TN-Bird] cormorant expulsion

  • From: "michael sylva" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bnuts" <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 12:53:14 -0400

We'd been seeing about 150 double-crested cormorants at dusk in a stand of
eastern cottonwoods east of the RR crossing into the Rankin WMA in Cocke
county.  Yesterday, at the usual time, there were no cormorants, but one bald
eagle in a snag at the center of the stand.  Another immature eagle was perched
on riverbank cottonwood, a couple of hundred feet away.  There were also 2
ospreys perched in the area, as there had been when the cormorants roosted
there. I don't think the eagles are any more of a threat than the ospreys are
to the cormorants, although I've read that eagles will rob fish from ospreys.
>> Different interspecies tolerances for different birds; we've also seen an
eagle clear out an islet occupied by a flock of white ibises at Ding Darling
Refuge in Florida.  Maybe an eagle dummy would be more effective as a bird
deterrent than those synthetic great horned owls.  >> BTW, we heard two live
GHOs after sunset at Rankin last night.
Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens